To make a classic potato salad with egg, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 12 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Drain the potatoes and let them cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, celery, onion, and dill.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, yogurt, and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the potato mixture and stir to combine.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Tips for making a healthy potato salad:
- Use red potatoes instead of white potatoes. Red potatoes are lower in carbohydrates and have a more waxy texture, which helps to prevent the potato salad from becoming mushy.
- Don’t overcook the potatoes. Overcooked potatoes will become mushy and absorb more dressing.
- Use whole-fat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Greek yogurt is a good source of protein and calcium, and it has less fat and calories than sour cream.
- Use low-fat mayonnaise instead of regular mayonnaise. Low-fat mayonnaise has less fat and calories than regular mayonnaise, and it still has a creamy texture.
- Add other vegetables to the potato salad, such as carrots, cucumbers, or bell peppers. This will increase the nutritional value of the potato salad and make it more colorful.
- Serve the potato salad with a side of grilled chicken or fish for a complete meal.