To make a classic Caesar salad, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and dried
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup croutons
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 anchovy fillet, minced
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, garlic, anchovy, egg yolk, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble the salad: In a large bowl, combine the romaine lettuce, Parmesan cheese, and croutons. Toss with the dressing until evenly coated.
- Serve immediately.
- For a richer flavor, use anchovy paste instead of a whole anchovy fillet.
- If you don’t have an anchovy, you can omit it or substitute a caper.
- To make your own croutons, cut stale bread into cubes and toss with olive oil, garlic powder, and salt. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- For a more flavorful salad, try grilling the romaine lettuce before assembling.
- Add other toppings to your salad, such as grilled chicken, bacon, or hard-boiled eggs.