To make a healthy Reuben sandwich, you can make the following substitutions:
- Use whole-wheat rye bread instead of white bread.
- Use low-sodium, lean corned beef.
- Use reduced-fat Swiss cheese.
- Use homemade sauerkraut instead of store-bought sauerkraut. Store-bought sauerkraut can be high in sodium and sugar.
- Use a healthier spread, such as Greek yogurt or hummus, instead of Russian dressing or Thousand Island dressing.
Here is a recipe for a healthy Reuben sandwich:
- 2 slices whole-wheat rye bread
- 2-3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 2-3 slices low-sodium, lean corned beef
- 2-3 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup homemade sauerkraut
- Spread the Greek yogurt on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place one slice of bread, yogurt-side down, on a plate.
- Layer the corned beef, Swiss cheese, and sauerkraut on top of the bread.
- Place the other slice of bread, yogurt-side up, on top of the sandwich.
- Cut the sandwich in half and serve immediately.
- For a crispier sandwich, toast the bread before assembling the sandwich.
- Add a side of roasted vegetables or a salad to complete the meal.