Traditional apple crisp recipes can be high in calories, sugar, and fat. However, there are many ways to make apple crisp healthier. Here are a few tips:
- Use whole wheat flour or oats instead of white flour.
- Sweeten the filling with maple syrup, honey, or stevia instead of sugar.
- Use less butter or oil in the topping.
- Add nuts, seeds, or dried fruit for added nutrients.
- Serve apple crisp with a dollop of Greek yogurt or frozen yogurt instead of ice cream.
By making these changes, you can enjoy a delicious and satisfying apple crisp that is also good for you.
For example, this healthy apple crisp recipe from EatingWell uses whole wheat flour, maple syrup, and coconut oil. It has only 259 calories per serving and is a good source of fiber and vitamin C.
So, while apple crisp may not be the healthiest dessert in the world, it can be a part of a healthy diet if you make smart choices about the ingredients you use.